Diagnosis and Treatment of Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a manageable disease that can be cured after consulting a doctor. Most people diagnosed with diabetes have Type 2 diabetes. It is more common in people who are 45 years and older. If diabetes is complicated then it can lead to diseases such as stroke, blindness, heart disease, and kidney disease. Diabetes is known to be one of the major causes of death. Some of the symptoms of diabetes include frequent urination, cuts, and sores that do not heal, and fatigue and blurry vision. With the right Type 2 diabetes treatment, you can live a healthy life.
Diagnosis of Type 2 diabetes
The tests mentioned below essentially measure the blood sugar amount.
- Glycated hemoglobin test: This test helps your doctor in finding out about your blood sugar level in the past few months. It measures the blood sugar percentage that is attached to the hemoglobin. If the test result is high then it means that your blood sugar amounts are also high. A sample of your blood will be taken and sent to a laboratory for test. This test is extremely convenient. It does not require you to fast before the test. The A1C test of 6.5% and higher indicates diabetes. That between 5.7 to 6.4 means prediabetes and less than 5.7% means that the blood sugar level is normal.
- Fasting plasma glucose test: It so happens that the A1C test is not valid at times. But for a proper Type 2 diabetes treatment, you need to be diagnosed. Your doctor might recommend this alternative test. For this, you are not supposed to eat anything overnight after which your blood sample is collected the next day. The result of this test also varies in case you have stress. If it is 126 mg/dL or higher then diabetes is indicated. Fasting blood sugar between the ranges of 100 to 125 mg/dL indicates prediabetes. That less than 100 mg/dL means that the result is normal.
- Random plasma glucose test: This test is ideal for those people who have symptoms of diabetes. As the name suggests, this test can be done at any time of the day and does not consider the meal that you have had before the test. According to this test, if the blood sugar level is 200 mg/dL and above then you have diabetes. This is valid if you are already experiencing symptoms of diabetes. Based on your diagnosis the Type 2 diabetes treatment is then performed.
Another diagnosis method is oral glucose diagnosis test. After you have been diagnosed with the disease, it is time for the treatment.
Treatment of Type 2 diabetes
- Healthy eating: When you are diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes there are certain things that you need to keep in mind. Your diet should include fruits, whole grains as well as vegetables. Foods that have a low glycemic index are also helpful. The glycemic index is nothing but the rise in blood sugar due to the food intake. Foods that are high in fiber are usually the best. You may consult a dietician to put together a healthy meal plan for you as per your body requirements. You might be guided about your carbohydrate intake to keep the blood sugar level stable.
- Physical activity: A good exercise regime is a good way of helping you with your health goals. It is indeed an important part of the Type 2 diabetes treatment. You can go for biking, swimming, and walking to stay physically active. Weight lifting or yoga is also a good way of staying active. Physical activity helps a lot in lowering the blood sugar level which is why it is highly recommended.
- Medication: Some people are able to meet their blood sugar level target by just the right diet and exercise. However, others might need to get specific medication in order to make progress. Insulin therapy is also a common option. There are various Type 2 diabetes treatment options that your doctor can suggest.
- Monitoring blood sugar levels: When you have Type 2 diabetes then you might have to record and check your blood sugar level multiple times a day. This is done so that you can keep a track of it and keep up with your goals. Blood sugar levels can be really unpredictable at times. You should educate yourself about how the blood sugar level changes in response to different type of food, alcohol, medication, exercise, and illnesses.
Thus, with the above-mentioned treatments, you can cure diabetes and live a healthy life. Early diagnosis of Type 2 diabetes helps a lot in coming up with the perfect treatment. With the right diet, exercise and most importantly discipline, you can deal with Type 2 diabetes properly.
The Different Causes of Neck and Shoulder Pain
The neck and shoulder area is a complex network of bones, muscles, and tissues. This complex part of...Read More
Ways to Identify Different Spider Bites
Spider bites are never considered as harmful and life-threatening but that is not true. It can be re...Read More
Treatment Options for Urinary Incontinence
The loss of bladder control leads to unintentional leakage of urine, also termed as urinary incontin...Read More
Causes and Symptoms of Swollen Lymph Nodes in the Neck
Lymph nodes are a part of the lymphatic system, one of the components of the immune system of the bo...Read More
Know Your Knees Better with This Knee Replacement Guide
All of our body parts are necessary to perform several activities, and knees are something without w...Read More
Treatment Options for a Hiatal Hernia
A hernia is a condition where an internal body part pushes into an area where it doesn't belong. The...Read More
Best Ways to Treat Rash and Itchiness Due to Shingles
Shingles, medically known as herpes zoster, can cause rashes with tremendous pain. The viral infecti...Read More
Top 10 snacks for those with diabetes
Top 10 snacks for those with diabetesIt is very important to keep blood sugar under control to preve...Read More